Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Hubris of the Young...

I've recently 'unfriended' someone that I have known for a few years and is in my 'industry'. She has had a high profile and very high dollar managerial position at a rehab center for over a year. From her recent post, I see that it hasn't taken her very long to adopt the 'Messiah Complex', thinking that she is all that and a bag of chips and that not just anyone can do what she does. *sigh*

Wildlife rehabilitation is not rocket science, but not everyone has the stomach for it. There is a lot of blood and death and trauma, but you have enough success stories to keep you soldiering on. Like everything else, it ebbs and flows...

I have been in this field for many years and I can't begin to tell you of the ego and arrogance that permeates this field of wildlife rehabilitation (AND FALCONRY). I see it all around me and so I have spent years, reeling myself in when I start to swell up too much and think how 'special' I am.

The hubris of the young...

I will be the first to admit it's a real ego boost to take in a bird that is broken in two and help get him back to the wild, but it's so important to be humble and to maintain your humility. Ego and arrogance in any form, is not attractive.

Monteen McCord
www.hawktalk.org


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home