Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sleigh bells ring...are you listening...?

Hey y'all,

I hope everyone locally fared the wintry mix that we have experienced. Last week, Cherokee County bore the brunt of icy roads, which made for treacherous driving during the evening rush. My friend Robert called that afternoon and when I answered he said, "Thank God you're home. I'm looking at an old Land Cruiser flipped over in the ditch on East Cherokee Drive!" Thankfully, I was lucky enough to already be home... I covered up the chickens and the Harris hawk with 6mil plastic and everyone did well. Even throughout all this unseasonable cold, my 14 girls averaged gifting me with 9 eggs a day! I have eggs coming outta my ears...

I don't know about you, but if I hear one more cheesy Christmas carol, the top of my head is going to shoot off. I have always been blue this time of year, even back when I was married to a (used to be, anyway) nice man with money. I think the cold and short days adversely affect me...that SADS stuff.

So, to help with said SADS, I bought a floor lamp on sale (at my holy of holies, Big Lots) which simulates sunlight. I sit under it like a freaking petunia, hoping it will make me feel better. All I have to do now is put a little dirt on the top of my head, scatter a few seeds and I could grow heaven knows what. Also, when I was at Big Lots, I heard Bing and David doing the Christmas duet that for some Space Oddity reason, I still really enjoy. Circa 1977...do you remember when?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/19/AR2006121901260.html

A big HawkTalk hug goes out to the nice folks that sent in donations to help us keep rats on the table. Keeping a roof over our heads might prove a little more dicey, but I am hoping the Bank of America will work with us to lower the payments a little so I won't lose my home. It ain't much to look at, but without it, life as I know it, ENDS.

It's a whopping 41 degrees, so I bundled up and went outside with the timer to get 20 minutes of sunlight (D3 and all the rest of it, you know). Who glides into the yard but one of the Red-shouldered hawks that I raised last spring. S/he looks so beautiful with those bright yellow legs and beak. When 80 % of his/her brethren are already dead from starvation by now, here s/he comes to say 'hello' or perhaps 'thanks for saving my life'...I can fantasize, can't I? This photograph was taken just a few minutes ago...another non-cash payment that reminds me that we all have our paths to follow. I get so weary of clinging to the edge of the cliff, but when I see one of my charges glide through, it makes it all somehow worthwhile.

You can see the changes in plumage already...

To the untrained eye, this looks for the world like he's singing, "The hills are alivvve with the sound of muuuuusic..." when actually, he screaming at about 90 decibels. I believe Barn owls are responsible for the bad press...

Thanks again to those of you who opened up your heart and pocketbook this year to help us continue Speaking for the Wild.

HoHoHo from Sam. God bless him, he'll be 21 in January.

Thank you for continuing along my journey and for taking the time to read my blog. If you have a little Mouse Money to spare, you may go over to www.hawktalk.org and click on the PayPal icon, or via USPS, P.O. Box 130, Holly Springs, GA 30142...m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home