Monday, June 6, 2011

Words of Encouragement...

This from a Scout leader that we presented to last weekend! Woot!

Monteen:

The feedback from both the kids and the adults was extremely positive.
Your program was a unanimous hit! So many adults commented on how you had the kids riveted. The adults said they didn't feel like they were getting a lecture, but more of a personal introduction to raptors. They really enjoyed your style and felt like you really helped them understand the birds much better. Damon, the Camp Director, raved about you. For many of the campers, Hawk Talk was their favorite part of Saturday.


Well, isn't that a nice email to receive? Little messages such as this gives me hope that something good will happen and I won't end up being homeless after all.

I'd like to thank the handful of you who responded personally and either sent me a copy of your letter, or to let me know you will be sending a note to Mr. Moynihan.

For the rest of you, please remember that HawkTalk is only one of maybe 6 or 7 long-term raptor facilities left in Georgia, down from 40. Talk about pressure on the rest of us that are left! We either process more birds, or they will lay there and die without having been given a chance. It's not their fault...

Five minutes and a stamp could make all the difference in the world for us. Please won't you help us?

We are currently caring for 18 birds in-house and feeding 5 more that are being hacked out. Six of these just came from AWARE, another rehab facility east of Atlanta. Talk about the old lady who lived in a shoe! Shoe? I need a thigh-high boot!

For some reason, the software isn't allowing me to insert photo's today, which is not good. This difficulty just might be the impetus to switch over to WordPress... It's giving me a "503 service error". Perhaps I should use those numbers and play Cash Three...

Oops...wait, here we go...


The two Screech babes guarding Sam's chamber.

A few of the Barred babes. The three oldest of the 5 have been released.

He's sticking his tongue out!


The door's open! I move the hack board outside and keep food on it.

Freedom at last!

One of the red-shouldered hawk youngsters

This poor dear came in from Stockbridge Friday and I am sorry to report it didn't live through the night.

Is that Batman coming up behind him?

Having a spot of lunch...

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog....m.

1 Comments:

At August 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM , Blogger The Roses said...

I am trying to identify a hawk that I got pictures of in our yard recently. I found your blog and thought you might help.
I have the pictures on my blog. If it helps, I live in Georgia, USA.
My blog is www.hisroses.blogspot.com
The call of this hawk is steady and loud and from a distance could be mistaken for a dog whining.
Thank you for your time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home