Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I could save so much money if I didn't have to eat...

I was giving my room mate the run down of the refrigerator contents last night after he returned from spending the weekend in sunny, HOT Florida. I had gone to the grocery yesterday and was cooking spaghetti in the crock pot, little game hens were slowly thawing out in the fridge, keeping the hamburger meat company.

I showed him where the fruit was and he wisely inquired whether it was "human fruit or 'Wally' fruit." ('Wally' is the baby crow I'm caring for right now.) "Human fruit", I replied. (My two wonderful Debbie friends gifted me with the leftovers from our soire Sunday before my Ga. Forestry Commission Summer Camp lecture started)

Oh, the stuff in the clear bowl with the plastic wrap? Uh...it's either leftover re-fried beans or cat food...I couldn't remember which! Don said, "We'll consider it cat food!" He's so smart...it didn't take him long at all to be trained in the subtleties of "The House of HawkTalk Refrigerator Etiquette."

Bottom line is...at this house, don't eat it if you cannot identify it!

Some years back, my house was a stopover point for a few female friends from the north who were making their annual trek to Panama City Beach. On this particular fateful morn, I had to get up and hit the road early so the night before, I told the ladies to make themselves at home. I get home later that day and notice broken eggs in the garbage and I'm thinking to myself, "Uh-oh..." So, I look in the door of the fridge and sure enough, they had scrambled Mina's eggs for brekky. For those of you who are new to my blog, Mina was my incredible Red-tailed hawk that lived with me for more than 16 years and crossed over just before Christmas last year. I used to save her eggs...little grandbird keepsakes, if you will.

Well, I called the girls to check in and asked them if they enjoyed breakfast and yes, it was good and I wondered how the eggs tasted... They immediately knew where this was going and I heard all sorts of shrieking from the other ladies who were probably sticking their fingers down their throats, but my grandbirds were well digested by then!

That was the last time they stayed overnight at my home...

Here is the newest addition and it's so small, I can't tell whether it's a male Cooper's Hawk or a female Sharp-shinned hawk! I'm leaning towards a Sharpy since I see a smattering of tail feathers...

Take care of yourself and each other and thank you for taking the time to read my blog....m.

PS. I’m not very good at self promotion and, when it comes to asking for donations, I just hate it. Unfortunately, it is a necessary part of my life. Being a non-profit organization, I (and all of my birds) depend on folks like you to send donations to help us pay for the thousands of mice that feed and sustain us (well, not me….just the birds).

So….if you can spare a few dollars, please consider sending them to us here at Hawk Talk. For any donation of $12.00 or more, I will send you one of our classic DVD’s to watch and share. They are guaranteed to make you laugh, and most likely, make you cry too.

Make checks payable to: Hawk Talk, Inc. Send to: P.O. Box 130, Holly Springs, Ga. 30142

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home