Monday, January 25, 2010

BaaaAAKK!

Hey ya’ll,

My friend Lillie came up for a visit last weekend and boy, did I have a fun-filled Saturday awaiting her! It sounded so weird, I’m not altogether sure her boyfriend believed her, but here is the proof! We, along with my dear friends Nancy and Bill went to the Northeast Georgia Poultry Show up in Jefferson, Georgia and a good time was had by all. Believe me, there ain’t no good way to get there…took three forevers, but it was well worth it.

People of all ages, races and ethnicities…it was awesome. Elderly folks, little bitty kids, black, white, Asian, Hispanic…well dressed all the way to being able to see the Skoll ring on their back pocket. It’s really amazing how many people loves them their chicky-poodles.

I don’t know the names of them, so I’m just going to let the pictures do the talking, OK?

My lovely friend, Lillie with a Cochin of some sort. Check out the hairy feet and spurs!

These were by far the weirdest ones I’ve ever seen. Very small dinosaurs from the Upper Jurassic period?

Strike a pose…


I’m Noko Marie…don’t mess with me!


Awesome young lady in the FFA with a Mille Fleur – obviously a French breed




Needless to say, some of these birds were quite intimidating.




I think this is a Polish breed. His head was so poofy, I couldn’t get it all in the frame

Rod Stewart – eat your heart out!


What a comb, eh? This bird has not been out in 13 degree weather. Probably up in the recliner watching TV!


We demanded proof that this bird actually had eyes…it took a minute to separate all the feathers.



These kids were from the Oconee Chapter of the FFA. The obvious affection for their birds knocked me out!




The pic doesn’t do this bird justice. His cheeks glowed like abalone.


Yes…the old chicken in the stroller trick, as Maxwell Smart would say.


It’s hard to see just how small some of these birds are. They would literally fit in your hand.


Chickens galore! – Sorry it’s slightly off. I was shooting above my head trying to get as many rows as possible.


And more chickens!


Another “Modern” breed. I wish they came in a Misses size 14, tho…way too small for the cats and Johnson


There were more bantams than anything else. They were cute, but personally, I like the big ones.


Dick Dickerson gave me a pair of Egyptian Fayoumis – I’m a happy chicken mom!




I think this is a Barred Rock






This here is Dick and Jane. He’s the cock of the walk! They have settled in nicely with the other girls.


Discussing the finer points of foraging.


Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! ….m.

Monteen McCord
770-720-1847
POB 130
Holly Springs, GA 30142
http://monteenmccord.blogspot.com/
www.hawktalk.org
www.facebook.com/monteenmccord
www.myspace.com/monteenmccord
http://home.fotocommunity.com/monteen
www.linkedin.com/in/monteenmccord
http://twitter.com/MonteenMcCord

3 Comments:

At January 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM , Blogger Gaina said...

Chickens are the only animal I can't look at with a clear conscience because I eat them.

I'd love to get some as pets because we as a family have a tradition of never eating something we've had as a pet. I had ducks when I was younger and we've never touched Peking duck again :P. So, my reasoning is that if we get some pet chickens then my mum will stop making me eat chicken and I can get on with my Pescatarianism in peace (need my Omega-3 fatty acids and I just love my prawns!).

I loved that little chicken in the photo of the little boy in the green jumper, it looked like it would make a lovely pet (the chicken, not the child that is! LOL).

 
At January 27, 2010 at 10:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe there are so many kinds! I can't wait to go to a chicken meet up now! As always, your photos just knock me out. I love the one Gaina mentioned-could I use it to paint from sometime? Been wanting to do a chicken painting.

Smut

 
At January 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM , Blogger Monteen said...

Sure! A painting would be cool!

The next show is in Newnan on Feb 20! There will be about 2500 chickens there...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home