Friday, June 25, 2010

Hey ya’ll…

Whew…I placed one Barn owl for “Continued Care” at Chattahoochee Nature Center, which now leaves me with 17 in-house birds, not including the youngsters that I’m hacking. YOW! I’m running down the road with my hair on fire. And we’ve picked up a few summer camp gigs which will bring in some Mouse Money that I’ll get to visit with for a few minutes and then that goes to the house ransom payment…

I forgot to check my last blog to see where I left off, so I’m winging it…pardon the pun.

Stephanie is still alive, but her head is on upside down. She has a couple different ways of looking at life…

There’s this way…


…and that…if you speak to her and touch her…


I tube fed this bird every three hours from Monday through Friday…she’s been eating solid food for a while now and Dr. Martinez is going to refer her to UGA for bloodwork and MRI to see if it’s an ear issue/lesion on the brain sort of thing. Somting vewy wong here… Unless she improves, euthanasia will probably be the end result because she cannot stand on the glove without tumbling turkey over tea kettle. **sigh** Thanks so much to Jeff, the Good Samaritan, for going out of his way to provide her some assistance that day and for donating some Mouse Money and some food for my truck to get her over to UGA for further testing…

Icabod, the Barn Owl was doing well with his finger amputation until about 10 days ago, then he starting picking at the stump. Ugh. We’ve been in for two laser therapy treatments so far, thanks to Dr. Ellis. Laser stimulates healing tissue and reduces inflammation. We’re scheduled for another treatment next Wednesday. What would I do without these people at Loving Hands AC???

Dr’s Ellis and Martinez helping Icabod – Don’t worry, it doesn’t hurt him


It takes a lot of LOVING HANDS… Get it???


Dr. Ellis started at the stump and worked her way down the inside of the wing where the nerve runs, again to reduce inflammation and stimulate healing. He’s been a very good patient, except that I’m now having to hand feed him. What else do I have to do???

One of the Barred owl youngsters…I love these birds.


The youngest RSH babe went from this:


To this! I love my job!


One of the older youngsters taking a break in the big Poplar tree…


Hollis, the RSH who was rescued by two (very cute:) Holly Springs police officers and will be ready to go back into the wild by next week! He’s rip roaring and feeling pretty sassy as you can tell in this pic…


A Parliament of owls…almost ready to go, too!


How handsome! Looks like an Olan Mills portrait…the little nubbins are just starting to sprout…

Brotherly or sisterly love…I haven’t quite figured the sexes out yet…


Sam got his glasses prescription filled last week… I think pink becomes him, don’t you?

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. If you have some spare Mouse Money stuffed into the couch cushions and it’s burning a hole it it, you could go over to www.hawktalk.org and make a charitable contribution via PayPal. We sure would appreciate it. Some days, I feel like the Jerry Lewis of raptor rehab, but it’s just part and parcel of what I have to do so that I may continue to keep and care for these incredible animals that mean so much to me, you and the environment….m.

Monteen McCord
770-720-1847
POB 130
Holly Springs, GA 30142
http://monteenmccord.blogspot.com/
www.hawktalk.org
www.facebook.com/monteenmccord
www.myspace.com/monteenmccord
http://home.fotocommunity.com/monteen
www.linkedin.com/in/monteenmccord
http://twitter.com/MonteenMcCord

1 Comments:

At June 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM , Blogger Gaina said...

I highly recommend you make that photograph of Sam in sunglasses into a postcard - it would sell like hot cakes! :)

There's a shop called Moo.com which will make any design you like into a range of postcards, gift tags and greeting cards. Might be a nice way to raise mouse money!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home