Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Grace update

Hey Ya’ll,

Well, Grace had her second surgery Tuesday afternoon. Dr. Martinez reopened the right foot and had to amputate the hallux talon (back) on the left foot. She had been curled over on it from day one and radiographs revealed that the toe had been broken. The poor dear thing. Dr. Martinez will keep Grace for a week in order to do a daily bandage change AND to inject her with that horrible antibiotic that stings her so badly. I didn’t want her to start equating me with pain…let her hate the doc, not me… Everyone has gone above and beyond the call of duty for Grace and now it’s up to her. I want what will be to her highest and best interest. She will need to regain use of both feet so she can equally bear weight and be able to tear food.

Thank you so very much for your outpouring of support to help me pay for her medical work. Her white count was astronomical and doc is still concerned that something may still be going on systemically. However, I believe if that were the case, she would be crashed a long time ago. He has the letters after his name…I just have 27 years experience. At some point, if she survives this next week or so, we will have to do another white count. Maybe I can get that cheaper if we are only looking at that particular value. **sigh**

In hospital - she’s sitting on her butt which is why there is an extra towel back there…

When I went to visit with her today, she chirped and moved her tail out of the way when I scratched her back and talked mushy-mushy to her. I know it’s supposed to make human offspring feel better. Can’t hurt, might help, is my motto of late…

This is the only photo of Dean that I’ve been able to get…through the peep hole. Pretty cool effect, don’t you think?

I’ve had the second batch of baby chickens for 6 days and they’re growing like little weeds! One of them has an eye boo-boo and I’m medicating it, but I don’t know if it will get better. A one-eyed chicken will have to be pretty sharp if she’s going to survive around here!

A passel of puddies…


Nancy and I went to the Poultry Show down in Newnan Saturday and a fine time was had by all!

She captured me capturing a shot of my favorite breed of goose…the Toulouse. Sorry, Johnson!

I have to put the lens right up to the wire so it isn’t in the foreground…

One of the judges…see how small that chicken is??? Unbelievable!

The eyes have it…I think.

“Hey! Where’d you get that cool appliqué’? Can I have your jumpsuit, mister?”


I wonder if they make contact lenses that color…nah, never mind! I’m weird enough already…

I was motivated to jog home afterwards and then floss my teeth TWICE.


I don’t know what kind of waterfowl this is, but it’s really cool…


“Mr. Spock, our guest has arrived in the transporter room…”


My fav Marlon Brando shot…

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. And please feel free to pass it along to your friends….m.

Monteen McCord
770-720-1847
POB 130
Holly Springs, GA 30142
http://monteenmccord.blogspot.com/
www.hawktalk.org
www.facebook.com/monteenmccord
www.myspace.com/monteenmccord
http://home.fotocommunity.com/monteen
www.linkedin.com/in/monteenmccord
http://twitter.com/MonteenMcCord

2 Comments:

At February 24, 2010 at 4:44 PM , Anonymous robin said...

Monteen,

I just donated $5 (wish it could be more) through Paypal to help out Grace.

Thanks so much for sharing your work and your world through your blog e-mails.

robin

 
At February 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Gaina said...

((Hi Monteen)) Thanks for the update on Grace, we have everything crossed for her over here ;-).

Thanks for the info on the Toulouse Goose. I've seen and loved them for ages but never known the breed. The photograph of Dean is beautiful, you should keep that and enter it in a wildlife photography competition.

Photo 6 - That's a chicken? Thought it was a mobile phone in a fancy case! X-D.

Yes, you can get contact lenses in that colour :). I'm sure I have a link somewhere....

Photo 11 - Mandarin Duck :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home