Thursday, July 9, 2009

I know, I know...

You go for weeks without a peep from me and then two in one day… Heck, I may even write a third! :-)

Normally, I have at least three batches of Swallowtail butterfly caterpillars every year. The first batch usually hatches out early in the season, sometimes as early as April…just as the curled parsley is coming back to life from it’s winter’s slumber, only for me to run around to the plant nurseries trying to find enough food for them to continue their metamorphosis. (The locals know I’ve gone round the bend…)

However, this year NOTHING. Zilch. Zero. Nada. I was talking to my friend Vicki about this since she is a fool for butterflies too and she said her recent foray to a local nature center was a bust because she saw a whopping total of three butterflies. (she takes great pics, BTW!) So, at least it isn’t me…something is going on in the environment. We noodled it around but came up with no answers.

Just a few days after Vicki’s visit to my home, what do I find but our little friends here. I believe it’s the Black Swallowtail butterfly. I get those confused with the SE Swallowtail. If someone can affirm or correct this I would appreciate it…

These photographs were taken on July the 1st…

“Oh, I’m so full, I could just pop, but maybe I can juuuust reach this piece!”


“I’ll shave before I pick up Miss Martha for our weekly walkin’ around date…”


“Right after I take just a little nap.”


Yep...I definitely need caterpillar therapy....m.

1 Comments:

At August 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

my sister in law was busy raising butterflies - seems like she ran into some problems too. She goes to Mexico every Feb. for the monarchs. She works for the Dept of Human Resources and goes about teaching people how to compost and raise butterflies and other endeavors of that sort. You two would probably get along well. Smut

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home