Sunday, August 9, 2009

One foot in front of the other...

We've had some good progress with the Red-shouldered hawk that Steve rescued from the golf course a week ago Monday. I got the go ahead from my doctor and started physical therapy Friday. (Insert Advert here - I use a lot of an antiseptic glue product called Skin Shield. I've been using it frequently since PT started since he likes to bite the MUD out of me...) I can't exercise his legs with gloves on, so I just have to suck it up.

He stood for the first time yesterday afternoon and then again today! And just now, he actually pulled his own food for the first time! Now I know his legs work, although the left one isn't as good as the right, but we're going in the right direction.


I'm a little worried about the kestrel. She can flutter around, but I can tell her left wing hangs down lower than normal. Anybody need a Linda Blair stand-in? Honest to spit, this is one of the meanest little birds I have handled in a while...


A few weeks ago, I picked up yet ANOTHER hand raised crow. He stayed with me for a week while trying to coordinate the transportation out to Rockdale County to someone who specializes in Corvids. While I enjoyed the visit, I spent about 10 bucks on various unsundry foodstuffs and it's like keeping up with a two year old when you let him out.

Here he is stealing the hawk food. Since they are omnivores, mice were included in his diet...


I am grateful my room mate has a sense of humor. It's mandatory around these parts.


Here is little Edgar waiting patiently as I prepare his supper...


Apparently, I'm not fast enough...


Yap...yap...yap...DEFINITELY female!


Here is a pic of one of the Barred owls that I'm hacking out...


Well...that's enough for now. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and don't forget to pass the link along to anyone who might enjoy our escapades! And who knows...they might also have an SUV that needs a loving home....m.

1 Comments:

At August 9, 2009 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Britt Hannah said...

Wow! That little kestrel girl was definitely knocked out when she rode in the car with me then. She showed no inkling of attitude! Thank you for updating on her status. It's worrisome about the wing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home